Comment on page
Consent managers give your users the ability to choose what data is collected about them when using your app and for what purposes that data is used for.
Freshpaint supports integrating with your existing consent manager so you can respect your users' privacy choices while using Freshpaint to power your favorite analytics and marketing tools.
Supported Consent Managers:
When employing opt-in consent management, the default setting disables user interaction tracking. Nevertheless, there is often a need to record events for first-party tracking and potentially transmit these events to designated destinations once the user provides consent. To achieve this, Freshpaint follows a two-fold event handling process:
- 1.Implicit Consent Selections: Even before users make explicit consent choices, events (e.g., pageviews) continue to be triggered. These events are transmitted to Freshpaint with non-data warehouse destinations disabled but are forwarded to data warehouses.
- 2.Explicit Consent Selections: When users complete their consent selections, any previously queued events are resubmitted with the updated consent preferences if the user consents to tracking.
Freshpaint leverages the browser's local storage to facilitate this functionality. Events are temporarily stored in local storage while consent is pending or until a new session is started (30 minutes or more of no activity). As soon as the user provides consent, all accumulated events are transmitted to the backend with the updated consent status. However, there are certain caveats to be aware of:
- Local Storage Limitations: If local storage becomes unavailable for any reason, event queuing is impaired, rendering this feature inoperative. Fortunately, the majority of modern browsers support local storage.
- Storage Capacity Constraints: Local storage imposes limitations on the volume of data that can be stored by domain. Consequently, there is a cap on the number of events that can be collected per page per session, typically set at 50 events. This ensures event collection covers a wide spectrum of user interactions while respecting storage boundaries.
- Consent-Based Queue Management: Event queuing is contingent upon missing user consent. The queue is purged as soon as any form of positive consent is obtained from the user. Consequently, if a user gradually extends their scope of consent, previously flushed events will not be transmitted to newly consented destinations.
By being cognizant of these considerations and maintaining a robust approach to opt-in consent management, Freshpaint ensures that user preferences are respected, data privacy is upheld, and data is efficiently managed and transmitted.